A Taster's Journey is a newsletter on food, wine and travel. After 15 years of studying, tasting, teaching, and selling wine, I created this newsletter to not only share my passion about wine, but of food and travel as well. Each month I hope to share wines that I am drinking, food that is in season, restaurants that I have enjoyed, and places I have traveled. Enjoy!"

ed_sig

WINE OF THE MONTH: Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre 1999 ($20)

October 5th, 2003

Allegrini is an outstanding winery in northeastern Italy that is known for producing some of the best Valpolicella and Amarone. The Palazzo Della Torre is made of a similar mix of grapes used in Valpolicella: Corvina Veronese (70%), Rondinella (25%), and Sangiovese (5%); but it is made in an innovative ripasso style. Most (70%) of the grapes and are vinified immediately, but the remaining 30% are left to dry on the vine till December before they are mixed in. This is a truly delicious wine. The ripasso technique reduces the acidity and increases the concentration, resulting in a full bodied wine which is very smooth. It is a harmonious blend of black jammy fruit layered with spices that provides a long finish. It’s a great wine that is drinking well right now.

Tags:

Leave a Reply